Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Helplessness



Wishing my blog friends a blessed year ahead!  This past year was full of good things and tough things, but in all things, God proved His ever loving care.  I cannot ask for more for the year ahead.  Whatever God chooses to bring my way, I know it is for my good and His glory!

I must admit to struggling with a feeling of great helplessness at times over the last few weeks. I have had to deal with requiring help for very simple daily needs and even now needing help to tighten my brace, wash my feet and, at times, get my leg in the bed. I have progressed greatly, but am obviously impatient to progress faster.  The hardest thing since being home is dealing with being unable to assist my dear Mother when she is weak and relying on the children for that as well as all the cooking, cleaning and multitude of other things that a homemaker does.

As I have struggled with this, I have come to realize several things. First, this is probably temporary.
Lord willing, I will be able to regain my ability to get around and Mother will regain her strength. At
rehab I met many who were in far worse condition than myself, had little hope for improvement
humanly speaking, and who had no one at home to care for them. It is hard –even impossible- to
understand why and all I could do was assure them of my prayers and try to encourage them along the way.

Secondly, this is the place God has put me now. My sense of independence rebels against it, but
I can know of a certainty that I am where He wants me. And we know that all things work together
for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He
foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn
among many brethren.  Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these
He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. Romans 8:28-31  In every part of our lives we are dependent on God, even for our daily breath.  So often I forget that as I take so much for granted.

Thirdly, I know that He is faithful and will not give me or my family more than He gives the grace
to handle. Therefore know that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant
and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments…
Deuteronomy 7:9  When I am weak, He is proven strong.

Lastly, when I begin to think that I don’t have time for this, I am reminded that it is not my time to
control. A brother in Christ posted this quote from Shepherd’s Press that I think speaks well to this.
Time The clock is ticking. We are running out of time. It is time for work, school, practice, and even
church. Time is a big deal in modern life. Yet for all of the energy spent on managing time, Jesus
says there is nothing we can do to shorten or lengthen the time given to us on earth, not even by a
millisecond. Time is to be exhausted on God’s glory not our own personal agendas. Time as we know it is not eternal, it is created. There will be no clocks in heaven. Before there was time there was God. This is one reason God refers to himself as I Am. God is infinite, he cannot be measured by time. He is not bound by time. He simply and profoundly is. Time is temporal, having to do with what is temporary. As Paul says, don’t focus on what is temporary, but focus on eternity. Faith has to do with eternity. Worry has to do with time. Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment