Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Stuck in the Mire



This past week was one of the worst I have through with treatment.  For some reason the chemotherapy hit me very hard in the hospital and I felt very drugged to the point of sleeping all day and not being able to talk sensibly to my children.  It is a state I hate to be in and I could not get out.  I don't know why that would hit me so much harder this time.  I got out of the hospital on Sunday evening and went to the Cancer Center for my lab work and an injection on Monday, only to find my potassium level was very low requiring intravenous Potassium.  Out of the kindness of her heart a nurse stayed late at the center so I would not have to go to the hospital.  While getting the intravenous, my doctor stopped in and was concerned about my left arm (which is the side of the port) being swollen.  I had to go back for a test today which I am pleased was negative for any blood clot.  I was praying they would not have to pull the port or remove a clot.  I am ready for the rest of the week.  I am close to needing transfusions, but maybe can put them off until next week.  White counts are falling as is seen by mouth ulcers perking up.  This too will be over.  Otherwise I am perking up and feeling much better.

During this time, I woke from one of my many "anemic naps" (my excuse for frequent naps) after dreaming a rather humorous dream where I was at the dining room table with my face down in my plate.  The plate was full of white cells, red cells and platelets fighting with chemotherapy agents all on top of cancer.  All I could see was the cancer as my face was flat down in the plate.  As I woke up, I remember thinking that when I raised my head there was a table full of other food, a room full of people and a world that I could only see when I raised my head.  I don't usually remember my dreams but I'm glad I remembered this one and I have mulled on it.  It struck close to home.  Having worked with cancer patients so much of my life and having cancer affect, not only my life, but  many family and friends, I know how often it is that THE CANCER consumes and becomes the center of our lives.  It is hard to lift one's head out to see that there is far more to the world than your cancer.

As I thought of the significance of this in my own life, I also thought of several dear friends in years past  and present as well as myself who have struggled with having our faces pressed down into the plate of our sin so we could see nothing else.  What we could not see was that, while our sin was very real and very great, the view we had was all wrong.    We saw our sin as being overwhelming...and it was.  We saw our faith as being too weak to pull us out...and it was.  What we could not see, was that by swimming in the mire of our sin and not looking out and up, we could not see God's great mercy!

It is wrong for me to think of my cancer as the totality of my being even though it is tempting to do so at times.  It is also, I think, insulting to God to stay in the mire of our sin and not look up to His magnificent mercy.  Romans 6 says, For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.  For one who has died has been set free from sin.  Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.  We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God.  So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.  Keeping our face in the mire of our sin will keep us enslaved to it.  The more we look to God and grow to know Him more and more we will understand that He died for the sins of a whole people, and my sin is not too much for Him to bear.  We are new creatures as Paul says in II Corinthians 5 vs. 16-19, From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer.  Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation;  that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

So when I am tempted to put my face in the plate of my cancer, I need to look up and see the whole picture.  I need to see the powerful, Almighty God who only does what is good for me and His kingdom.  I need to look at the life He has given me that is not cancer, the many blessings He has showered upon me.  I need to learn more of Him.  Likewise, when my friends and I stay in the mire of our sin, I encourage us to rise up and ask forgiveness of the One who says He will put it behind Him and go forth and live and learn of God.  When you sin again ask forgiveness again.  God's forgiveness is great.  His mercy and love are steadfast.  We cannot slow down His purpose.  We need to remember we are on a pilgrimage for Him and like Pilgrim we must toss the burden of our guilt at the cross.

              And can it be that I should gain
              an interest in the Savior's blood!
              Died he for me? who caused his pain!
              For me? who him to death pursued?
              Amazing love! How can it be
              that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
              Amazing love! How can it be
              that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

              'Tis mystery all: th' Immortal dies!
              Who can explore his strange design?
              In vain the firstborn seraph tries
              to sound the depths of love divine.
              'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
              let angel minds inquire no more.
              'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
              let angel minds inquire no more.

              He left his Father's throne above
              (so free, so infinite his grace!),
              emptied himself of all but love,
              and bled for Adam's helpless race.
              'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
              for O my God, it found out me!
              'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
              for O my God, it found out me!

              Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
              fast bound in sin and nature's night;
              thine eye diffused a quickening ray;
              I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
              my chains fell off, my heart was free,
              I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
              My chains fell off, my heart was free,
              I rose, went forth, and followed thee.

              No condemnation now I dread;
              Jesus, and all in him, is mine;
              alive in him, my living Head,
              and clothed in righteousness divine,
              bold I approach th' eternal throne,
              and claim the crown, through Christ my own.
              Bold I approach th' eternal throne,
              and claim the crown, through Christ my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment