Thursday, October 10, 2013

Lesson of the Eyebrows



It is a blessed thing for the heart when we are brought to the place of complete conscious dependency upon The Lord for everything. That is the place of rest, joy, and victory."~Arthur Pink, "Communion"

When I first started chemo in 2011 I was not upset about losing my hair, but it did bother me to lose my eyebrows.  It leaves such a blank face!  I think the only person I told that to was a dear friend up north.  When my chemo was completed she asked me if I had lost my eye brows.  Curious as to why she would ask, I told her, "It was really strange, but they were the only hairs I didn't lose."   She then informed me that she had prayed every day that I would not lose them.  Would I have lost my eyebrows without those prayers?  I definitely do not know.  I do know that God knew the desires of my heart which was also to be healed of the sarcoma if it was in His will.  I know that as of now the continued sarcoma is in His will as is the continued hanging on of my eyebrows. 

After finishing my horrible week on chemotherapy near the end of September I started my week of recuperation and was shortly sent back to the hospital at the end of the week as all my blood counts dropped precipitously as well as some electrolytes.  What was to be an evening of blood transfusions turned into four days of antibiotics and transfusions as I spiked a fever the first night.   I was very pleased to come home Monday morning though it required some twisting of my doctor's arm.   Today I had to make a short trip back for platelet transfusions.   I have definitely felt better since being home surrounded by loving family.  I will continue to have blood counts monitored as well as watch for adverse symptoms.  Many have prayed and God has been gracious to sustain me.

During this time of feeling tied down by weakness, fatigue and pain, BUT having a much clearer mind than the week of chemo I tried to focus on how God uses His creation.  I recalled many years ago when my children were quite young and I was out of work due to a knee injury.  I anticipated losing our house and had no idea of where our food was going to come from.  Sadly, I believed in my head that my daily bread would be provided, but it had not translated to my heart (that took many years of God proving it over and over to me)!   I was overwhelmed with depression, which is something I do not normally suffer from.  In a moment when I felt I could not cope, I sent my children out to play and looking out of my living room window, my eyes full of tears I moaned an incoherent prayer to God asking that He, for the sake of my five children, would care for us.  I saw no answer on my own.  I can't remember how He did take care of things, other than He used the body of Christ.  I do remember that in the depth of my depression I sat on my sofa, tears running down my face as I watched five little house sparrows, one at a time come and sit on the branch outside my window.  Were they sent at that particular time to remind me of Matthew 10 where God says He knows when the sparrow falls and that we are of much more importance than they?  Did they happen to be there which reminded me of God's promise?  I certainly do not know!  What I do know is that God knew where those five sparrows were at that moment in time and used them to remind me of Himself, His power and His compassion.

In thinking on this, I tried to think of the importance of creation and how it is used of God. Of course, I know that the whole creation speaks of, and to, the glory of God.  Psalm 50:9-11 says, For every beast of the forest is mine,   the cattle on a thousand hills.  I know all the birds of the hills,  and all that moves in the field is mine.  Psalm 8: 3-9 reminds us of God's majesty when the Psalmist says,  When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,  the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,  what is man that you are mindful of him,  and the son of man that you care for him?  Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor.  You have given him dominion over the works of your hands;  you have put all things under his feet, all sheep and oxen,  and also the beasts of the field,  the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea,  whatever passes along the paths of the seas.  O Lord, our Lord,  how majestic is your name in all the earth!  Then there are God's specific uses of His creation:  a raven to bring food to Elijah, quail out of nowhere to feed His people, birds of the air to remind us of His care, the lilies to remind us not to worry, and His power in parting the Red Sea!  There are so many more examples and it has been a blessing to rehearse some of them.

In three weeks I return to MD Anderson for follow up tests.  Will I find the cancer subsided?  Will I find the treatments to once again have failed?  God knows that I desire more time on this earth, but He also knows that above all I desire that His will be done and He be glorified.   No one says it better than Paul in Philippians where he says to live is Christ, but to die is gain.  I also have the knowledge that He who began a good work in you, will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:6).  He who numbers the hairs on my head, few as they may currently be, also knows the exact and perfect number of my days.  I do not fear what is to come, but do pray that decisions in three weeks will be clear, and that I might use the months, days, hours and minutes I have left on this earth to His glory.

I have prayed this past week that I might not only pay more attention to prayer, reading of the Word and meditation, but that I may stop going past His creation every day without seeing eyes.  When I see a little lamb may I remember Isaiah 40:11,   He will tend his flock like a shepherd;     he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom,  and gently lead those that are with young.  When I see the endless heavens, the oceans that go past seeing eye, the sand on the ground, and know that God has them all measured, may I be reminded of His endless power way beyond my imagination.   When I see a magnificent sunset changing every nanosecond and never the same, may I see beyond its beauty to the majestic God who is painting a picture of Christ in my life.  When I see the birds and flowers, may I be reminded of He whose palm I  am being held in.  When I see the sun day after day, moment after moment not burning up the earth, may I be reminded of His eyes that never slumber but know where I am every moment, what is going on in my life and what I need.

Isaiah 40:21-31    
Do you not know? Do you not hear?  Has it not been told you from the beginning?
Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth?
It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;
who brings princes to nothing, and makes the rulers of the earth as emptiness.

Scarcely are they planted, scarcely sown, scarcely has their stem taken root in the earth,
when he blows on them, and they wither, and the tempest carries them off like stubble.

To whom then will you compare me, that I should be like him? says the Holy One.
Lift up your eyes on high and see:  who created these?
He who brings out their host by number,  calling them all by name,
by the greatness of his might, and because he is strong in power not one is missing.

Why do you say, O Jacob,  and speak, O Israel,
“My way is hidden from the Lord, and my right is disregarded by my God”?
 Have you not known? Have you not heard?
 The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;  his understanding is unsearchable.
 He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength.
Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted;
but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;  they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment