Monday, December 4, 2023

Thanksgiving

 

Next week (or possibly later this week) I start radiation for a metastatic lesion in my thoracic spine.  It was discovered after an increase in back pain and sciatica sent me in for scans. Today I consulted with the radiation doctor.  After “planning” tomorrow he will decide what kind of radiation, but it will be high dose likely daily for two weeks.

 

A month before Thanksgiving as I was awaiting testing and results of those tests I determined that I would focus daily on the many things I have to be thankful for.  The list is truly endless and I’m sure I would not reach its end in my lifetime.  However, here are some of the things I have found to particularly give thanks for:

 

I am thankful that I can be joyful because where I am now is where God has assigned me to be today.

 

I am incredibly thankful for family and friends who surround me with their prayers and love daily.

 

When I lay awake at night, I am thankful for the ability to pray for friends who have entrusted me to pray for them.

 

I am thankful that when I am tied to my recliner I can still enjoy reading.  I am also thankful that when I forget what I have read I can find new enjoyment in reading the same thing over!

 

The pain makes me thankful that I have it so much better than so many.

 

I am thankful that I do not have to be a crotchety old lady complaining about her lot in life (and hopefully will never be) but can find joy in the place God has chosen to put me.

 

I am thankful that sixty-eight years ago, God knew me in my Mother’s womb and has not let go of me since!

 

I am ever so thankful that because God is good, just, and wise, all the time and in ALL circumstances, I can know that this cancer is for my good and for God’s glory.

 

I am overwhelmed daily with thankfulness for the beauty and awesomeness of God’s creation and the lessons that teaches me. I am reminded of Tim Keesee’s encouragement in his book “A Day’s Journey: Stories of Hope and Death-Defying Joy” to think of the trillium wildflowers that paint the forest floor in spring time. The flowers remind us of their Creator __ and ours. They remind us that the Great Gardener purposed to give life, color, fragrance, and beauty even to wildflowers that may never be seen in their brief existence. If our God does that for flowers, He will surely be with His people, giving them His life and filling their days with the fragrance and beauty of His presence.

 

May you be thankful  with with me every day, all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment