Monday, November 18, 2013

Perfect Peace



"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." –John 14:27

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world." –John 16:33

At the end of October I had a follow-up visit to the cancer center in Houston.  It was obvious from their scans that the chemotherapy had failed.  The options they gave for treatment were major surgery, some chemo pills or a Phase I clinical trial.  On return to my local oncologist to discuss my options I had a couple more scans done.  I had asked God for clarity in making decisions and was given that.  The scan I had here showed progression of the lesion in the femur bone and really no choice but to have surgery soon to avoid fracture.  This will not be a curative surgery (humanly speaking) but hopefully will prevent the bone from breaking and perhaps give me some better mobility.  I am hoping to get in to see a Dallas sarcoma surgeon as an option to having surgery in Houston.  Whichever center I choose, I need to have this done quickly due to the fragility of the bone as well as the practical issue of my insurance paying at 100% through December.

As I wait for details to be worked out and final decisions to be made, I'll admit to trepidation over the upcoming surgery. I have always dreaded this path, partly because, as a nurse, I know a little too much about what it involves.  There is also the fear of the unknown as far as the rehab process, end results and pain.  Also, like many people, I do not like the helpless feeling of being under anesthesia (rather ironic since in reality I am no more helpless there than in any other part of my life).  In thinking of my anxieties about surgery this week I have struggled with the concept of peace and done some reading on it.   I wanted to know just what is perfect peace,  is this peace to be obtained only in heaven and how do I attain this peace?

I found that in the Bible, peace is mentioned frequently.  There is the peace with God in salvation, the peace that is the opposite of war and the peace that we are to have with our neighbors and enemies.  Then there is the perfect peace that passes all understanding that is promised by Christ.  Just what is this peace?  I've come to think of it as the calmness of soul despite a life full of trouble. This is the peace that only comes from above.  One of my favorite authors, Arthur Pink, describes the elements of Christ's peace which He passes onto us  as an unshakeable confidence in the Divine providence, an unchanging trust in God, and an unparalleled meekness.   As Thomas Watson said,  It gives us songs in the night. It puts joy into our hearts when we are in the midst of sorest trouble. It turns our thorns into roses.  That is the peace that I have, and yet, still seek in its fullness.

It is also obvious that this peace  is not freedom from trials and troubles.  The secret of the Christian's joy, hope, peace, and strength is placed inside him by God Himself.  This peace is not manufactured by me, but is from the God who never fears and the God who never sleeps.  As R.J. Miller said, It is God's omnipotence which keeps us. It is God's Spirit who broods over the turbulent floods of life, and brings order out of chaos. It is God's Son who stands on the vessel, amid the wild storms, and compels them to become quiet and still at his feet. It is God's grace that enters into the believer's heart and abides there as a well of living water within, springing up into everlasting life. We cannot command our own spirit and compel it to be at rest, when sorrow or peril is on every side. God alone can keep us in peace. Nothing that is not infinite and eternal—can be a safe and secure hiding place for an immortal life.

As to whether this peace be attained on this earth,  I know it to be so, because God has promised it. "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth gives way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging! (Psalm 46)  Christ also promised it to His people before His death when He said He would leave His peace with us.  When I think of Christ promising this peace just before He faced the most horrific torture and death, I am humbled.  When I think of martyrs proving this peace can be attained on this earth, going to their death with their eyes lit up, praising God, I am convicted.  When I think of Abraham, Joseph, Job, Stephen and so many more who looked up instead of at their troubles, I am desirous to share their peace in its fullness.

As to how to obtain this peace, I have learned that the peace from above is not dependent on me, or it would fail.   So I seek to stay my mind on God.  I seek to look to Him alone as He is the Omnipotent One who has promised perfect peace.  "The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." Deuteronomy 33:27   I am not only promised peace, but it is my duty to have it, so I seek to follow Paul's admonition to "Be anxious for nothing. In everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God."  I seek to meditate on the Word, seek the Lord in prayer and look above.  I think on what Thomas Watson says, The life of Christian faith is not freed from pain—but out of the pain comes rich blessing. The crown of thorns must be worn by the Master's friends who follow him faithfully—but the thorns burst into sweet flowers as the light of heaven's morning touches them.

    "God has not promised
    Skies ever blue,
    Flower strewn pathways,
    Always for you.

    God has not promised
    Sun without rain,
    Joy without sorrow,
    Peace without pain.

    But God has promised
    Strength from above,
    Unfailing sympathy,
    And undying love."

From John McDuff:

"Amid all trials, however, it is the believer's consolation, that, despite of outer disquietudes, the true peace of Christ itself cannot be disturbed. The former are only like the surface-heavings of the ocean. That surface alone is fretted and ruffled. Go down into its unexplored depths, among its luscious wildernesses of sub-marine seaweed--its coral rocks and wondrous mosaic of pebble and sand, and all is peaceful and still. No rolling billow is heard there--no roaring breaker--no scream of storm-birds. So with the soul! In its lowest, truest depths, all is peace. The ship may be tossed, but its moorings are secure. In the same sentence in which the pressure of present corruption impels Paul to cry out, "O wretched man that I am;" he adds, "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord." He bemoans the tossings of the frail bark in one breath--he remembers the strength and security of the anchor in the next.

The believer's subjective peace, the calm assurance or consciousness of his interest in Christ, may be often assailed. But the peace itself cannot be. The clouds, engendered by sin and weakness and unbelief, may at times obscure from his vision the rays of the Sun. But the Sun, notwithstanding, shines brightly as ever. Once that peace is his, he knows it never can be finally forfeited. The flowing of the spiritual river may be impeded; there may be opposing rocks which here and there disturb the even course of its current--but it will surmount them all, and mingle its waters at last in the ocean of eternal peace and love in heaven....

Speed, then, your flight, O weary wanderer, to the true Ark. The true Noah, the "Rest," the Peace-giver, invites you within. Seize the olive-branch, and wing your way across the stormy waters. The bough on which your earthly nest was built, may have been felled by the axe or broken by the storm; but "He is our peace." And as driven by the windy tempest your cry is, "O Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world, grant me Your peace!"--O Rock of Ages, cleft and smitten for me, grant me Your shelter!

May it be yours to listen to the glad response, "My peace I give unto you"--"Though you have lived among the pots, yet shall you be as the wings of a dove covered with silver, and her feathers with yellow gold."

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Mary, I was just reading a few of your posts and had quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to e-mail me at bonnermom(at)gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.
      Mary

      Delete