Thursday, July 4, 2024

Faith

 Hebrews 11 defines faith as confidence in what we hope for even though we cannot see it. I have thought of that a great deal lately as my cancer has taken a rather rapid turn for the worse. It has now spread to the lungs and I am under palliative care to control the pain. I know that the day is coming before too long when I will go under hospice care.


I do believe with an absolute surety that no matter what awaits me before my death that what comes beyond is more awesome than I can even imagine! I have no doubt about that! However as I look at the list in Hebrews 11 of the men and women of faith and what they were called to go through I have wondered how my faith would sustain me if I were called to go through the same, and how my faith will sustain me with whatever lies ahead before my death.

My mind often goes to remembrances of a great man of God, Ariah, in the East African country where I was born and raised. I think of the great persecution he underwent because of his faith. I think of him imprisoned in a shipping container in the heat of summer with little to eat or drink. I think of his faith causing him to sing praises to God while in prison and when he was finally released to fall on the ground on his face with tears of utter joy, praising God for allowing him to suffer for His sake!

I have come to the realization that Ariah and those listed in Hebrews 11 did not produce their own faith. Even as Ephesians 2 verses 8 to 9 says, their faith was a gift of God! That gives me great hope and something to pray for. God has asked very little of me. I pray that in the days to come He would give me the surety that what He asks of me He himself will give me the power to accomplish. I pray that as Psalm 77:19 says, even though I cannot see God's footprints I will know that all He brings into my life is brought with His fatherly love. My fervent desire is that all who see and know me in the days before my death will see the joy of being Christ's child reflected in me! Please pray that for me.

 

God Moves in a Mysterious Way by William Cowper

 

God moves in a mysterious way

His wonders to perform;

He plants His footsteps in the sea

and rides upon the storm.

 

Deep in unfathomable mines

of never-failing skill;

He treasures up His bright designs,

and works His sov'reign will.

 

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;

the clouds ye so much dread

are big with mercy and shall break

in blessings on your head.

 

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,

but trust Him for His grace;

behind a frowning providence

He hides a smiling face.

 

His purposes will ripen fast,

unfolding every hour;

the bud may have a bitter taste,

but sweet will be the flow'r.

 

Blind unbelief is sure to err,

and scan His work in vain;

God is His own interpreter,

and He will make it plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment